Maggio Law Firm, PC

A locally rooted law firm with more than 22 years of courtroom experience.

Local 228-206-6637

Contact Form

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Change in income and child support amounts

When you're on a career path, there are sometimes diversions or unexpected events that can alter your course. When a person gets laid off or they have to take a temporary pay cut, it can really throw a wrench in their plans. It can also impact a parent's ability to meet the terms of their child support agreement.

One of the first things that a parent might think of when taking a pay cut or losing their job is how will they be able to pay their child support obligations. Of course, parents want to do everything in their power to ensure that they support their child. Financial support is a huge part of that. If a parent's income changes, they can petition the court to modify the original child support order.

This does not happen automatically. It's something that must be initiated on behalf of the parent. On the flip side of the issue, if a custodial parent realizes that the paying parent has received a substantial increase in income, the custodial parent may want to petition the court for their child to receive a higher amount of financial support from the paying parent.

Monthly payments for child support could quickly become unpaid if a parent loses their job or takes a substantial pay cut. If the parent suspects this will be a long-term scenario, petitioning the court for a child support modification is wise. This will allow everyone to understand the obligations, so they can be fulfilled in a timely manner.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information